Thursday, January 2, 2014

Christmassy in Quebec

The thing about snow is it’s fun at first, but there reaches a point when it starts to get annoying.

This is something that my Montreal friends and locals have been telling me for a long time, but I only really discovered on my weekend trip away to Quebec City. I can honestly say that it was the first time that the weather had disturbed any of my travels so far throughout the Canada and US.

From the instant I opened the doors outside from the bus station in Quebec, I knew that the weather was going to make my travels just that little bit more difficult! A gust of wind blew my hood right off, snowflakes slammed into my face and the cold chilled my cheeks raw. It was your average snowstorm – but add some heavy bags and being lost and you’re feeling a little more grumpy than usual because of the weather. 

Nevertheless, the city itself did an excellent job of making me forget the bad weather and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. The snow really accentuated the French, village-y feel of Quebec City, especially on the Rue du petit champlain, the oldest street in the old city. Everything was adorned with snow-topped Christmas decorations and pretty fairy lights, making it a really nice time of year to go for a visit.

The Christmas Boutique

Some highlights of the city included ice skating on the square in front of the Palais Montcalm, battling the snowstorm to the Chateau Frontenac (and sneaking a view from the top), visiting some incredible local eats including (La Brûlerie) and listening to carolers in the snow.

Chateau Frontenac

I also took an easy and well-worth-it trip to the Falls of Montmorency with the hostel (a 40 minute bus ride away). There was certainly an incredible view and we felt that we had somehow made it into the wilderness with the snow tumbling down at great speed as we trudged through up to our knees in the stuff! The temperature was ok though (I think about -10 degrees that day with a bit of wind on top of that) so we weren’t too cold all rugged up.

The Falls - taller than Niagara Falls!

On my final day in Quebec I managed to pay a trip to the Christmas markets at the Old Port, which had some great food and wine on offer, and a beautiful ambiance with a man playing the harp. That day was by far the worst day for weather as the wind literally blew you away! It was the first time I’ve had to walk backwards down the street to avoid the chill of the wind and the enormous snowflakes, and some locals were laughing at me braving the snowstorm!

Turns out it was a great museum day, so I headed to the Museum of Civilisation – a very unique experience. There was an incredible exhibition on the history of video games, in which almost every console from the 1950s to the present was set up with an iconic game of the time for the visitors to play! I had some good fun reliving my childhood, and laughing at the pixel quality we thought was so amazing back in the day. They even had Dance Dance Revolution set up – needless to say I showed off my skills and impressed all watching.

One of the classics

There was also a fantastic exhibition on Paris in 1900, reliving the glory of the World Expo, which came with a free audio tour. They did a good job of putting you back in the spirit of the time, and my favourite room was a balcony surrounded by a giant drawing of what Paris looked like in 1900, detailing each building that had been created especially for the event. The World Expos always seem like a mysterious and ancient thing to me (even though they are apparently still run?), so I found the huge drawing fascinating.

It was a fantastic little trip, and I had a really great experience with the hostel there (HI Quebec). I met the most Australians I’ve ever encountered in one place so far overseas (12), and the staff were really helpful and organized fun activities (such as the ice skating, the Montmorency Falls, a pub crawl and visit to the light festival).

I am currently on the road in San Francisco (very behind with this blog I know! Will try and update it in the next couple of days). I can’t believe there’s only two weeks until I come home! Time has simply flown and it will be hard coming back to reality I think, but I am also looking forward to seeing Australia and all my family and friends again (and the beach!).

Next post will be an update on New York/Washington DC.


Erin xo

No comments:

Post a Comment